If your bird seems sick, take him or her to an avian vet immediately! Check your local phone book or Vet Lookup, AAV, Avian Vet.

Sunday, January 7, 2007

The Cool One

Finally, the Tall One has left! Now, to continue my tale...

I was sitting on the rooftop, exhausted, not knowing what to do, hoping for some kind of rescue, when suddenly, I heard whistling. I looked down on the ground and located the source of the friendly sounds. It was the human I had seen sitting close to the birdfeeder before the gusts of wind prevented my safe landing. He was standing on the ground, looking at me. I had never met a human before who whistled fluent Cockatiel, so I carefully walked down the slanted roof to get a better look. In my experience, people were the ones who had access to the birdseed, and since I had seen this one close to the feeder, I figured he might be able to give me some food.

When I heard the big birds screaming in the distance, my mind was made up. I could not last much longer on my own, and I had to have a person to feed me. I did not like my previous humans, but this one certainly paid more attention to me already than all the others ever had, so I fluttered down from the roof to a big thing the humans called truck, right next to the human. He kept whistling at me and, with a firm but gentle motion, picked me up. For a moment, I regretted my decision, but once I found myself in a small cage with a full dish of birdseed and with fresh water, I was relieved. I gulped down the seeds as if I had not eaten in weeks. Freedom had not been as good as I had expected, and being in a cage certainly had its advantages.

This human was very cool, I decided. He knew exactly what a cockatiel wanted. Food, water, a safe cage, and good company. I liked the way he whistled to me, and I looked forward to spending lots of time with him.

Just as I was beginning to preen my pretty feathers, content to have found a new, and better, home, however, my fate changed again.

I have to go again. À bientôt!

No comments: