If your bird seems sick, take him or her to an avian vet immediately! Check your local phone book or Vet Lookup, AAV, Avian Vet.

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Tiel Therapy

I've been worried about my Tall One. Ever since she got sick, she's been tired and sleeping a lot, even though she's better now. I think she should never have gone back to work, but who of you knows a human who listens to reason!?

I chirped at the Cool One to let him know about my concern, and as usual, he understood what I was saying. My Tall One needed some nice fresh air and some diversion. Of course, that's good for all humans, including the Cool One. So I sent both of them to the zoo, where one of the exhibits featured my cousins, cockatiels, along with some more distant relatives: budgies, a.k.a. parakeets, and finches.

Of course, the Tall One took her camera along, and she took pictures of my fine feathered cousins. Not surprisingly, they flocked around the Cool One without hesitation, and with his help, a couple of them also settled down on the Tall One eventually. Here are some pictures:


This beautiful black and white cockatiel reminds me of vintage movies. I dubbed him Humphrey Bogart. He bit the Cool One and the Tall One right away to let him know he is the boss. Of course, neither of them let that deter them. They know we cockatiels are in charge. Here he is on the Cool One's hand.





Here are two tiels on the Cool One's hands!

Note the other cockatiels in the branches above!








The cool bird came back to the Cool One after a little break in the branches and perched on his shoulder.









This youngster lost his tail feathers. I can sympathize, because when Miss Prissy was young, she always bumped into things and lost feathers. I think he felt quite comfortable with the Cool One:


The Cool One finally placed the little bird on the Tall One's shoulder, where my feathered friend started preening her hair.


The zookeepers were so impressed by the Cool One's connection to birds that they asked him to stay and volunteer!

I think my Tall One is feeling much better after some Tiel Therapy, and I'm sure it was good for the Cool One, too!

3 comments:

T-man Angel said...

That looks like a great place to visit. I've never heard of a zoo where they have cockatiels, or let you hold the birds.

Maybe the Cool One was a birdie in a former life :)

I hope your Tall One feels back to normal soon. Being sick is a bummer.

T-man

J. L. LeMone said...

Ths zoo is only doing this over the summer, as an extra attraction. The Tall One already said she wants to go there again. I wonder where the birds will go when the summer is over. Maybe she'll bring some of them back with her!

Two Pis and a Poi said...

I'm so glad the Tall One seemed to be doing better! Those tall ones can be hard to take care of sometimes! Good job!